RE: Oracle is slowly driving me insane.....

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:31:25 -0500

And the morons you work for want detailed installation instructions written up for documentation purposes.

Doesn't help that Oracle changes the rules with every release.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Bobak, Mark Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:22 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Oracle is slowly driving me insane.....

So, I'm installing the 10gR2 App Server, and I get to the window where you define passwords for SYS, SYSTEM, SYSMAN, and DBSNMP.

So, I type in our standard passwords for each of the accounts, and I get:

Password may contain Alphanumeric, underscore (_), dollar ($), or pound
(#) characters only: SYS.

Password may contain Alphanumeric, underscore (_), dollar ($), or pound
(#) characters only: SYSTEM.

Password may contain Alphanumeric, underscore (_), dollar ($), or pound
(#) characters only: SYSMAN.

Password may contain Alphanumeric, underscore (_), dollar ($), or pound
(#) characters only: DBSNMP.

Now, this is the exact same software I installed a couple of weeks ago, with the same standard passwords, and there was no problem. (Our standard passwords contain an exclamation point(!).)

I don't get it.....how did it work two weeks ago, and choke now....?

Sigh....I *love* Oracle....;-)

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand
binary, and those who don't."
<<Bobak, Mark.vcf>>