RE: sql query substr

From: Bernard Polarski <bpolarsk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:51:54 +0100 (CET)

  Hello list,

  I learned something valuable.

  B. Polarski

  -----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Jim Silverman Sent: donderdag 9 februari 2006 14:03
To: Jared Still
Cc: Krishan.Gupta_at_etcc.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: sql query substr

  It’s been around for at least that long. I started with Oracle 6.0, and am pretty sure it was there then, but I wouldn’t swear to it. However, I know it’s been here since at least 7.1. The “tm” element, however, was new to me; I hadn’t seen it until I glanced over the 10g documentation yesterday. (This isn’t to say that it is new with 10g, but this is just the first opportunity I’ve had to run across it.)     Glad it was a productive day for both of us!

Jim Silverman
Senior Systems Database Administrator
Solucient, LLC
Telephone: 734-669-7641
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Krishan Gupta Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:32 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: sql query substr
Hello List,
Look into the queries below, why the result of first two queries is starting with a blank space, and to get rid of this I have to substr from position 2 rather than 1.
select substr(to_char(34.25,'99.99'),1,5) col1 from dual;   --result is '   34.2'
select substr(to_char(-4.25,'99.99'),1,5) col1  from dual;  --result is '   -4.2'
select substr(to_char(34.25,'99.99'),2,5) col1  from dual;  --result is   '34.25'
select substr(to_char(-4.25,'99.99'),2,5) col1 from dual; --result is '-4.25' TIA
Krishan

This message is a private communication. It may contain information that is confidential and legally protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient, please do not read, copy or use this message or any attachments, and do not disclose them to others. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then delete it and any attachments from your system. Thank you,
Solucient LLC
(eXclaimer 4x)

--

Jared Still

 Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.Téléchargez la version beta.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Feb 09 2006 - 07:51:54 CST