Need advice on import with auto undo

From: Michael Ray <topshot.rhit_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 21:21:52 -0500

I'm used to the old (8i) way of handling rollback. Oracle seems to be pushing automatic undo management (AUM) so I get an undo tablespace when I create a 10g starter database to dump my import into.

Normally, I'd create a single large rollback to do the import. From Note:135090.1 I see that "Having several UNDO tablespaces available in the database provides the possibility to switch and use a different tablespace with smaller or larger global size for different purposes of usage, such as OLTP, BATCH." This makes it sound like I can create a large Undo tbs and activate it for the import and switch back when done. My dump file is 11+ GB so I'd need one a bit larger I'd guess.

I was also wondering if I could tweak the undo_retention init parameter. It has been using the default (900?) so far, which doesn't seem to be very friendly for imports. How low can it be set? My main goal is to minimize import time.

I suppose if all else fails, I can use my own create db script, do the import the old fashioned way and then worry about converting to AUM afterward.

Shalom,
Michael Ray