RE: how do I concatenate a string in PL/SQL?

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:20:26 -0500

Roger,

We can't help if you don't give us enough info.

:= is NOT just for numeric value. || is the correct concatentation operator.

Here is my proof:

SQL> set serveroutput on
SQL> declare

  2  a_strng varchar2(5);
  3  b_strng varchar2(5);
  4  c_strng varchar2(10);

  5 begin
  6  a_strng := 'Hello';
  7  b_strng := 'World';
  8  c_strng := a_strng || b_strng;

  9 dbms_output.put_line(c_strng);
 10 end;
 11 /
HelloWorld

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - 64bit Production PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production
CORE 9.2.0.6.0 Production
TNS for Solaris: Version 9.2.0.6.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.6.0 - Production

Now, show us your (complete) test case.

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Roger Xu Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 5:01 PM To: Jared Still
Cc: Oracle-L_at_Freelists. Org (E-mail)
Subject: RE: how do I concatenate a string in PL/SQL?

Nothing wrong with the cursor, the only problem is: "a_strng := a_ATWRT || a_strng;"

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error ORA-06512: at line 97

everything else works fine if I comment out "a_strng := a_ATWRT || a_strng;"

Again, the question is "How do I concatenate a string?" I guess := is for numeric value only?

Thanks,

Roger