RE: Tough SQL Problem

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:01:33 -0500

Heh....True. Jared has a valid point.

To be clear, without another column that provides some order, there is NO WAY to tell what order the rows were inserted into that table.

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 1:59 PM To: Bobak, Mark
Cc: post.ethan_at_gmail.com; oracle-l
Subject: Re: Tough SQL Problem

Adding just a bit to Mark's reply, the fact that you see '1' 5 times consecutively does not mean that it was called 5 time consecutively.

Mark implied that, danced all around it and flirted a bit with it, but didn't come right out and say it. ;)

Jared

On 2/8/06, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com > wrote:

        Hmm....just the one column? You need another column, by which you can

        establish order. There is no order inherent in a relational table. So,

        if you had another column, say, sequence_number, or a date_time_col or

        something, you could order by that, and relative to that, determine the

        largest consecutive occurances of '1'. (I'm thinking lag()/lead() here,

        off the top of my head.)

	I would argue that without another column to order by, it's not
	possible, cause there's no way to determine the order of the
rows.

        -Mark