Restore RMAN backup from another location

From: Li-Shan Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 23:10:47 +0100

Hi

I was wondering how to restore an Oracle 9i RMAN backup from a location where it was not backed up to.

For example I backed up the database to F:\, I then take this backup to another Server where there is no F Drive, how do I tell RMAN in the new server he should look in a different location to restore? There is no problems with controlfiles and archive logs since we can specify the location but I cant find a way for normal backup sets.

There is a way in 9i which is to backup an existing backup set to another location, not really the desired way.
In 10g we can use the catalog command to change the location. Anyone know any other smarter way in 9i?

Cheers

LSC