Re: Oracle Notificacion Server and DCM ports in OracleAS 10gR2

From: Jurijs Velikanovs <j.velikanovs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:01:19 +0000

> I am performing a 14 node Oracle Application Server 10gR2 installation.
I never have done a 14 nodes installation (3 AS connected Instances max) :) But hope my knowledge on the subject will help you :) Information below is based on experience and can be not 100% correct. I would be glad I you let me point me on any mistakes I have made describing things. Anyway lets try to describe how AS management works ...

All AS services (components) located on a local host (Apache, OC4J Instances, DCM daemon) are managed by local OPMN process. Straight after startup any OPMN managed component establishes a connection to local OPMN port (6101 by default, but check you opmn.xml or AS Control in order to find OPMN Local port number for particular AS instance). All local management commands and messages go through OPMN local port only.

If you are using AS installation with Infrastructure instance then and only then (I am not taking about OC4J clusters in this context) other AS instances can communicate messages (including DCM messages) to each other.
In order to do that each AS Instance straight after a local OPMN service startup establishes a connection from a local host to the Infrastructure instance OPMN process using II OPMN Remote port (6200 by default).

 "Middle Tier Servers" or I would say AS Instances doesn't communicate to each other in a direct way. The Infrastructure OPMN process is used for that purpose.

BTW: Infrastructure instance doesn't include SSO. SSO Instances treated by Oracle as a regular instance ("Middle Tier Servers"). A SSO Instance have no a special dedicated communication channel. An Infrastructure Instance consist of OID and OPMN processes only.

>> For example, does Middle Tier Servers communicate with
>> OID and SSO Servers using ONS and DCM? And opposite?
Middle Tier Servers communicate with the host there Infrastructure Instance installed using II OPMN Remote Port (6200), OID ports (389, 636), some components (as Portal) use direct connection to a repository database (not necessary the same database as infrastructure database, but by default is) using DB listener port as well.

Bit more about AS you can find in my presentation. http://www.alise.lv/ALISE/technolog.nsf/0/e40122e5a600ecb4c2256fd90050d122?OpenDocument

Cheers,
Jurijs

--