Re: Interesting MetaLink notice

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:22:38 +0800

Its there now.... I suppose by pasting it below I've broken all sorts of customer support contract rules, but oh well... The content is:

FAQ For Oracle PL/SQL Gateway Security Issue Released by David Litchfield February 2, 2006

David Litchfield, an independent security researcher, discussed a workaround for a vulnerability in Oracle Application Server at Black Hat Federal on January 25. The vulnerability lies in the Oracle PLSQL Gateway, a component of several Oracle products. According to Mr. Litchfield's analysis, the bug can be exploited by an attacker to grab complete control of an Oracle database server via the compromised Web Server.

  1. Is there a patch available for this issue?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#1>
  2. Are there exploits available for this issue?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#2>
  3. I have read that Mr. Litchfield's presentation at Black Hat was a "zero-day." Is this true?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#3>
  4. Is there a workaround for the issue?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#4>
  5. What about the workaround Mr. Litchfield described in his Black Hat Federal presentation?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#5>
  6. Mr. Litchfield has said that "this bug is so easy to fix and easy to workaround." Why didn't Oracle fix this sooner?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#6>
  7. When does Oracle plan to fix this issue?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#7>
  8. What does "subject to testing and integration" mean?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#8>
  9. Will Oracle provide details of the patch or vulnerability in advance of the CPU?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#9>
  10. Does Oracle ever do one-off security patches in advance of a CPU? <https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#10>11. Will Oracle issue a Security Alert for this vulnerability prior to the April CPU?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#11>
  11. What is Oracle doing to address this issue prior to a patch being available?<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=125:4:5454752290609545917::::p4_id:1696291.993#12>

*1. Is there a patch available for this issue?*
Answer. No. Mr. Litchfield released the workaround in advance of a patch being available for the vulnerability.

*2. Are there exploits available for this issue?*
Answer. At this time, Oracle knows of no *public* exploits for this issue. Oracle does not develop or distribute active exploit code (or "proof of concept code") for vulnerabilities in our products. Mr. Litchfield is a professional security researcher and he understands the risk of releasing an exploit.

*3. I have read that Mr. Litchfield's presentation at Black Hat was a
"zero-day." Is this true?*
Answer. No. Generally, a "zero-day" refers to a working exploit of an * unpatched* vulnerability that was not previously reported to the vendor. Mr. Litchfield presented a *workaround *for a vulnerability that he had previously reported to Oracle.

*4. Is there a workaround for the issue?*
Answer. Oracle knows of no workaround that protects all customers against possible exploitation of the issue and that has been tested across the entire dependent product stack. We continue to explore potential workarounds for this issue and will notify customers if one becomes available.

*5. What about the workaround Mr. Litchfield described in his Black Hat
Federal presentation?*
Answer. Oracle was not given an opportunity to validate the workaround prior to Mr. Litchfield releasing it, though he did notify us after-the-fact. We regret that Mr. Litchfield made the workaround information public in advance of either Oracle being able to validate the workaround or Oracle being able to provide a patch. Based on subsequent analysis, we now believe that the workaround proposed by Mr. Litchfield will break Oracle eBusiness Suite applications and may break other products.

*6. Mr. Litchfield has said that "this bug is so easy to fix and easy to
workaround." Why didn't Oracle fix this sooner?* Answer. Oracle began working on a fix as soon as Mr. Litchfield reported it in late October 2005. It was not trivial to address completely; indeed, fully addressing the vulnerability required several product modifications. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to meet the cutoff dates for inclusion of the fix in the January Critical Patch Update (CPU). We announce CPU dates a year in advance and we have strict timetables for patch delivery, including testing fixes across multiple platforms and multiple versions of dependent products.

*7. When does Oracle plan to fix this issue?*
Answer. Oracle has been working on the issue since Mr. Litchfield reported it in late October 2005. We have successfully identified the base issue and backports are tentatively scheduled for release to customers in the April CPU, subject to integration and testing.

*8. What does "subject to testing and integration" mean?*
Answer. Oracle is making every effort to get the fix for this issue in our April CPU, for the benefit of all customers. However, we do thorough testing of fixes across multiple versions, operating systems, in conjunction with dependent Oracle products. It is possible that we will find a problem late in the CPU cycle (e.g., we might find that this fix breaks a dependent product). In that event, we would elect to pull the fix from the CPU rather than break dependent Oracle products.

*9. Will Oracle provide details of the patch or vulnerability in advance of
the CPU?*
Answer. No. Oracle releases information about the nature of the vulnerability in the CPU documentation, at the same time as the fixes are made available to all customers, in accordance with our formal policies on vulnerability handling. Particularly as there is no workaround which both fully protects customers, and works for all Oracle products (i.e., without breaking some of them), Oracle believes that providing more details about the vulnerability in advance of a fix would be irresponsible.

*10. Does Oracle ever do one-off security patches in advance of a CPU?*
Answer. Our formal security vulnerability handling processes do provide for us to do one-off (i.e., single issue) security patches in extraordinary circumstances and proactively notify our customers of patch availability, via a Security Alert.

*11. Will Oracle issue a Security Alert for this vulnerability prior to the
April CPU?*
Answer. At this time, we have no plans to do so, for several reasons. The nature of the affected component is such that, in order to fully protect customers from *all* known issues, we would also have to include *previous *CPU fixes to the affected component. In other words, we cannot easily release a fix for just this issue, as patch application could "undo" other changes to the affected component delivered via previous CPUs. The work to include, and test, all previous CPU fixes for the affected component (as part of patch delivery) is equivalent to producing a CPU, and would follow the same process. Therefore, at this time, we believe customers are best served by Oracle releasing a fix for this issue as part of the April CPU.

*12. What is Oracle doing to address this issue prior to a patch being
available?*
Answer. Oracle is looking for a set of workarounds that provide partial or total workarounds on all products. If all customers can be protected via a set of workarounds (or partial workarounds), we will provide them to customers, via a Metalink note, as we test and validate them.