Re: v$archived_log ==> applied=no

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:42:30 +0100

That's not a synonym.

Standby redo log files can be created and act similar like the online redo log files if a database is in standby mode. The RFS process (which resides on the standby) is then able to write the received redo stream in the standby redo log files. This will reduce the amount of data-loss. For MAXIMUM PROTECTION/MAXIMUM AVAILABILITY mode you need to create this type of redo log files. I always create them on the primary, as a part of the preparation process for the creation of a standby. The standby redo log files are available on the primary as well then, as soon as it needs to become a standby.
One might think why the ordinary online redo log files aren't used for this purpose. A reason I can think of is the Logical Standby phenomenon. This type of database is open for read/write. It will therefor need its online redo log files, and they are not available for use by the RFS process. If I'd written this software I wouldn't have created two different RFS code branches, just because it will save the space of a couple of logfiles on disk.

Bottom line:

Try to reread the concept manual, and find the differences between online, standby and archived redo log files! They all have their own role!

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===