Re: Index compression on Oracle 9.2

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:40:35 -0000

Jurijs,

The pctfree automatically switches to zero on compression, and any updates require a row to be uncompressed - and it isn't re-compressed (or rather re-tokenised) after update, so it's almost guaranteed to become a migrated row.

The critical feature for table compression is that the table should be made read-only once compressed.

As with so many things Oracle - once you work out WHY a features exists, it's much easier to see HOW to use it.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/cbo_book/ind_book.html Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html Public Appearances - schedule updated 10th Jan 2006

Dave, Tanel,

Thank you very much for spotting the areas there the "compressed table" feature can be used.
It still looks to me usable only for specific (DHW kind) areas. Audit data is good one :)

I would like to make some testing of the feature in nearest time (influence on CPU consumption the most interesting question). I will update list on the results.

BTW: If some body have got results of that kind of testing, please do not hesitate to share them with the list ;))))

Jurijs