Re: ** x-windows for oracle installation

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:46:10 -0700

It would appear that you have a less-than-complete install of Cygwin. That error message tells me that you are missing one or more shell interpreters. (You can probably find out by looking at the first line of /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh.)

In the past, I have found Cygwin to be adequate, although I have had trouble with it of late, especially with the 10.0.1 OUI (which is used with the more recent 9i patchsets).

*My* favorite trick these days is to run Linux in a vmware virtual machine on top of Windoze. This is a *great* option these days, since vmware player is now free, and you can download preconfigured  Linux VMs off the internet.

If you want to go this route (with which I have been entirely happy) there are a couple "tricks" you may need to apply to your virtual machine's network configuration. (But they're not a big deal.)

Let me know if you want details.