RE: Index compression on Oracle 9.2

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:15:00 -0600

> By my opinion the feature is absolutely grate (whilst table
> compression is rubbish).

Could you elaborate on the "rubbish" comment above? The reason I ask is that I've seen a pretty good compression percentage in the past at the table level. We had a bunch of tables as part of an initial build that we wanted around, but needed them to cough up some of the space (I think they were consuming 300 - 400GB of space). I rebuilt them using CTAS, ordering by the columns with cardinality < 50, up to 5 of them, in order by lowest cardinality to higher. Doing this the compression dropped the table sizes to around 60% of their original size. Table compression is pretty effective, in my experience, for this use.

Dave

Dave Herring, DBA
Acxiom Corporation
3333 Finley
Downers Grove, IL 60515
wk: 630.944.4762
<mailto:dherri_at_acxiom.com>

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank you.