Re: 10.2 NFS mount points

From: Chris Marquez <marquezemail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 21:35:25 -0500

This is a very interesting thread on many levels. The RMAN10g/NFS limitations...good to know...over the past month(s) we have built our backup, restore/recovery, failover around RMAN9i and a dedicated NFS server (we cold not afford *real* NAS).
I don't know about 10g, but as David Sharples wrote more than just basic NFS mount options are essential for RMAN9i to work (better/at all). And if anyone cares after working out the bugs a *dedicated* NFS box-network and RMAN9i has been very stable and reliable for us.

>>RAC to NFS v3 works just fine.

"works just fine" are words the give me physical pain just looking at them. Those are words of a lazy developer and/or a tech sales guy. ;o) After a very shaky 2005 (for me) I prefer words like; "proven to work", "works 100% of the time"...
...but to the point of my email.

All this talk about Oracle & NFS. It has been a long time since I looked, but hasn't Oracle always said "NO" to NFS (datafiles)? I'm not talking about NAS like NetApp...I'm talking about setting up a home grown NFS box and putting datafiles on it?...shoot I'm not even sure they support many CFS's?

Care to enlighten me?

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA