Re: Index compression on Oracle 9.2

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:41:55 +1100

Luc Demanche said,on my timestamp of 1/02/2006 2:14 AM:

> Oracle 9.2
>
> We are looking to use the index compression.
> We have a table of 18Gigs of data, contening 42 millions of rows.
>
> One of the index is 19Gig, another one 17 Gigs, and so on ....
>
> We are looking to reduce the space used by the indexes, but all of the
> indexes are important.
>
> Will the compression on the indexes will help us ? Do you have good/bad
> stories about that.

Bad stories. There is a bug with very large concatenated keys on updates. Causes 0600 errors. Never been able to reproduce it for Oracle support, but it's there shortly after we recreate that index with compression. 9.2.0.6, RHAS. Concat key is in excess of 300 bytes on average with peaks at 1000. 150 million rows, 30Gb data, 40 GB in all indexes, that big one at about 25Gb uncompressed.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto