Re: number of extents

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 09:36:24 +0800

Why not test ? its easy enough to do...I got up to around 150,000 once on a laptop (before starting to run low on disk space).

Issues were -

i) v8 - tablespace quotas still stored in dictionary and updated on an extent-by-extent basis when the table was dropped or truncated ... took days

ii) v9 - the quota updated in one transaction at the end (much faster)

iii) for a full scan, you get 1 extra get per 10 extents (courtesy julian dyke for this info).

iv) "silly" queries to dba_extents (eg sum bytes by tablespace etc) took a long long long time to complete

bottom line - you might struggle to notice any problems with lots and lots of extents...

but remember, if you've got between 1 and 5000, you're probably exercising an Oracle code path that millions of other people are also exercising. If you have 1,000,000 extents, you may be a "pioneer" ona bug finding quest :-)

hth
connor

On 1/28/06, David <thump_at_cosmiccooler.org> wrote:

> What are your opinions on uniform extents and number of extents?
> It is said we no longer have to worry about number of extents...
>
> One camp goes with that method and another goes the way of the small, med
> and large extents sizes method.
>
> Have you guys found any negatives with extents above some number with
> locally managed tablespaces(10,000, 25,000 50,000)?
>
> --
> ..
> David

Connor McDonald
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com
web:   http://www.oracledba.co.uk

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"