Re: issue with wait on log buffer space. Oracle recommends enable write cache??

From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:00:31 -0500

Are you using dedicated redo disk drive? How much redo are you generating for this 1 statement ?

2mb is still pretty small. I usually set it quite large to handle spikes. I usually target 1-2 seconds of the disk speed where my redo is sitting.

Remeber that redo buffer is "zoned" based on the number of CPUs. You want each zone to be at least 500 kb to allow some nice big write requests.

For reference, a modern single disk drive is capable at doing 50 Mb/sec sequencially.

The specific machine I have in mind has 8gb RAM, 2 15k rpm disk drives in mirror, and produces 58 Mb/sec. my log_buffer is 45mb and I have 8 cpus (4 with ht). Usually my write request is in the 1 mb range when doing data loads (when not CPU limited).

--
Christo Kutrovsky
Senior Database/System Administrator

-- Christo Kutrovsky Senior Database/System Administrator The Pythian Group -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l