Solaris CPU Consumption

From: Deepak Sharma <sharmakdeep_oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:21:48 -0800 (PST)

I am having a tough time finding the right command to give me the CPU Usage on our Solaris box.

If there are 100 processes currently on the system, I want something that shows 100 lines, each having a (non 0.00%) CPU Usage column for that process.

I use 'top', 'vmstat 2 5' or 'sar -u 2 5', for example, to find the total CPU usage for the entire system.

  1. Using 'top' shows total CPU, say 30% idle (or 70% Used), but when I add up all individual processes' CPU, it adds up, something like 56%, as an example. Several of the processes listed in top show 0.00% CPU and the reason could be that they have a 'sleep' state. But, adding up all non - 0.00% processed yield, as mentioned before, a much lower number than the total CPU used shown by Top.
  2. I also tried using '/usr/ucb/ps -auxwww', and adding individual processes' CPU. same story, they all add up to a total that is much lower than total CPU reported by any of the above mentioned commands.

Any help?

Thanks,
Deepak

Do You Yahoo!?