Re: Oracle on AIX hangs

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:32:09 -0700

   That link certainly is a good resource. Just a caution to casual readers, though, the the particular settings described in that article don't necessarily describe what you would really want on an Oracle database server. (On my servers, where I still use JFS, I usually set minperm/maxperm to something in the range of 5/10 to 10/20.)

   Anyway, there are definitely useful tips for JFS2 users. An important JFS2 tip that *is* relevant to Oracle servers is "concurrent I/O" (CIO). JFS2 users who use concurrent I/O may find that their settings of minperm/maxperm/maxclient/whatever are almost irrelevant (okay, /those/ are brave words!) because database I/O will bypass filesystem buffers entirely...

   On AIX with JFS2, CIO is definitely your friend. Or, at least, that's been my experience...