Application architecture & prod/pre-prod switcheroos

From: Murching, Bob <bob_murching_at_BUDCO.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:47:38 -0500

Been racking my brain to see if there is a more... elegant architecture for the following:

We have this in place, and it works, but it's not very elegant and requires more DBA supervision than we'd like:

That's the system in a nutshell. I guess my question is, is there a better way to architect a solution like this, so as to produce the prod-preprod swapping w/o doing things as invasive as cloning schemas or tablespaces?

Thoughts appreciated!