Re: We're fasionable again

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:10:32 -0700

Are you perhaps comparing contractor/consultant rates to salary? Well, given that you talking about the height of the tech insanity (I mean "bubble") maybe you're not. 'Course any company that's paying salaried employees (beneath the level of "Director" or "Vice President", anyway) $105/hr probably deserves to be extinct today...

$54/hr is something in the neighbourhood of $100,000/yr. As a salary with benefits and some element (illusion) of permanence, that's not bad at all. Well, in most markets, anyway. It's probably not too impressive in places like New York or San Francisco (or London, or Tokyo, or ...). As a national (I presume USA) average, though, this actually fairly encouraging. It beats early 2002, when you could reasonably expect to see seasoned DBAs (and many other high-level IT professionals) standing on street corners holding signs reading:

Heck, in about 2002, I had "recruiters" trying to convince me to accept out-of-town contract gigs for as little as $35/hr, and expecting *me* to cover the travel expenses. You can probably guess what I told them... ;-)

Frankly, I think the insanity of 1999 and 2000 was almost as unhealthy as the great collapse that followed. It's really quite refreshing to see some sense of sanity (perhaps punctuated occasionally with a little "vigor") return to the market.