RE: TNS Resolution

From: Jonathan Knight <knightjck_work_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:49:12 -0800 (PST)

Thanks again for the many replies. I'm learning a lot about Net8. The good news is that the issue has been resolved ... I can now connect. The bad news it that I don't understand why. If anyone can offer any reason from the below, it would be appreciated. But, it's not necessary. We're all more than busy.

Thanks again!
Jon

> Did you try setting TNS_ADMIN to the same path as
shown below
> for SQL*Navigator, and then seeing if tnsping still
works?

> E.g.
>
> C:\>set TNS_ADMIN=C:\ora817NT\network\ADMIN
> C:\>tnsping your_service

Yes, I can still tnsping the service. As an aside, I can edit the connect string in the tnsnames.ora file and the changes are displayed when I tnsping, so I know it's got the right tnsnames.ora file.

> How about reading some manuals, bozo? Manual will
tell
> you what TNS_ADMIN is for and where is the directory
you
> should be looking for.

I haven't read the manual, but I have read the section describing TNS_ADMIN and have researched it via Google.
I understand that it overrides all other methods for determining which tnsnames.ora file to use. Is this correct?

> An ORA-12154 is a client side configuration error. I
see
> that you ping clsdev.world When you try to connect
with
> sql_navigator do you also specify clsdev.world, or
just
> clsdev? What's the content of your sqlnet.ora?

Here are the contents of my sqlnet.ora ...

AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = ADMIN
names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES)
names.default_domain = world
name.default_zone = world

SQL*Navigator displays the entry a little differently because
of my TNS entry, shown here:

CLSDEV,CLSDEV.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ud505)(PORT = 1521))

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = clsdev.world)
    )
  )

So, SQL*Nav shows the whole "CLSDEV,CLSDEV.WORLD" in a drop-down.
This was new to me, but another user here has it setup that way
so I tried it. It seems that tnsping can still reach both
CLSDEV & CLSDEV.WORLD (P.S. I've confirmed that there are no
other entries in tnsnames.ora file that even contain the string
"clsdev".)

When I change the entry to read as below, I continue to get
"ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name"   CLSDEV =
    (DESCRIPTION ... Interestingly, when I change the entry to read as below, then I
can get in !?!?!?
  CLSDEV.WORLD =
    (DESCRIPTION ... I am rather confused. I understood that the tnsentry could be
named anything one might want. In face, I have an entry named
"FOOBAR.WORLD", also "MMISF15.corp.cefs.int". (Bby the way,
both of these work.) Am I incorrect in this understanding?

Do You Yahoo!?