Re: terminal release of 9iRel2

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:16:40 -0700

Agreed. I saw a note today on one of the Metalink Forums (OS/install or maybe DBA) reporting that the release of 9.2.0.8 is actually *scheduled* on at least one platform (Solaris, as I recall). Sadly the "scheduled" date was March, 2006. So I won't be holding my breath; there's *lots* of time to change that plan.

'Course, there's plenty of time between March '06 and July '07 for additional patchsets to be released. Or not.

I think we can be reasonably sure that 9.2.0.7 is *not* the terminal release of 9i, at least on *most* platforms. Whether or not 9.2.0.8 will be terminal is still anybody's guess. I figure we'll probably see at least 9.2.0.9, but I think we all know that there's no point in trying to predict patchsets.... Heck, even Oracle employees who are supposedly "in the know" have an amazingly bad track record with such predictions (well, the ones *I* hear from do, anyway), so those of us on the outside might as well not bother to try. ;-)