Re: ORA-00338: log 1 of thread 1 is more recent than controlfile.

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:01:19 +0100

This error comes when opening database.
If you start database after incomplte recovery than you need to do "alter database open resetlogs". If you had offline backup and didn't copy your redo logs - than you need to do

SQL> startup mount
SQL> recover until cancel
SQL> alter database open resetlogs;

How was recovery tried (one that didn't help)? How did you try to open the DB? Statements would be helpful.

If it's offline backup than you can also backup redo logs to avoid opening resetlogs.

Alex