Oracle ASM w/ VCS in a NON-RAC Environment

From: Vajrala, Madhusudana R. <Vajrala.Madhusudana_at_mayo.edu>
Date: 2006-01-12 18:18:18

Hi,

We have two servers in VCS (Veritas Cluster Server) environment, on which we run multiple \ oracle databases (9i rel 2) on both servers. We plan on upgrading one of the database to \ 10g rel 2 and wanted to use ASM. Here is the thing that I am trying to understand.

If there is a server (server-1) crash or manual fail-over of the database, VCS starts \ database(s) and listener process(es) on the OTHER server (Server-2), which is part of the \ cluster. Provided if we using the ASM for storage, how does VCS can work w/ ASM to fail \ over the "ASM disk" to the other server (server-2) and bring up the ASM instance (No Need \ to bring up the ASM instance) and finally start the database?

Please advise me, if any one implemented ASM in server HA environments with VCS,HP Service \ guard or suncluster w/o RACE.

Thank You,
Madhu Received on Thu Jan 12 2006 - 18:18:18 CST