Re: Running Oracle and SQL Server on the same box

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-01-11 21:30:01

On 1/11/06, Schauss, Peter wrote:

> We are considering installing Oracle (9i) on one of our Windows
> development boxes which currently has SQL Server (2000 - sp3) installed.
> Am I likely to encounter any conflicts between the two software
> packages?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Schauss

In Mladen's absence ...

That reminds me of a Stephen Wright joke concerning putting a humidifier and a de-humidifier in a closed room and letting them fight it out ...

or a 7th grade science class "if a closed room has a refridgerator running with the door left open, will the room temperature increase, decrease or stay the same".

In both cases, the power company wins and the (system entropy) room temperature increases.

Back on topic, if you are running Veritas Backup Exec, the catalog database in fact is an embedded version of MS SQL Server. If that is running on your Oracle Database Server, you already have both OracleService%ORACLE_SID% and MSSQLBKEXEC OS Services running.

Use pslist -m to see how much VM is being allocated. By default, the MS SQL Backup Exec v9 catalog db inst was configured to allocate 1.7 GB of virtual memory at instance startup, similar to having sga_target set to a 2 * 10E9 limit.
This is a great reason to purchase more memory, the Enterprise Edition of w2k3 server or to bury your head in the sand (or run Linux instead).

brilliant.

Paul