RE: Firewalling Oracle

From: Hostetter, Jay M <JHostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: 2006-01-11 21:06:44

Jared,

>What problems did you run into with it?

Forgetting to change it when an ip address changed.

>Was it worth the trouble in your opinion?

I was able to sleep better at night.

We have two boxes that were briefly sitting outside of a firewall. This is when I implemented the TCP.INVITED_NODES parameter. Since that time, these boxes have been moved into a more secure area of the network. But since they are outside our corporate firewall I left the parameter in place. I've never really had any problems, except when the IP address of the invited nodes changed. They were NATted addresses, so it took me a little while to figure out that it wasn't a firewall problem.

Jay

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:09 PM To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Firewalling Oracle

Hello,

I'm curious how many folks have used the the TCP.VALIDNODE_CHECKING, TCP.EXCLUDED_NODES and/or TCP.INVITED_NODES parameters to restrict database access.

What problems did you run into with it?

Was it worth the trouble in your opinion?

Thanks,

Jared Still

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the \ individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is \ privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may \ not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the \ message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and \ delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the \ extent that it relates to their official business. Received on Wed Jan 11 2006 - 21:06:44 CST