Re: Data Modeling

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-01-10 06:51:48

I have recently purchased CASE studio for use at work.

It seems fairly decent, though like most inexpensive DM tools, it really is not capable of differentiating between logical and physical models.

For models that are not too complex though, it works pretty well.

I've previously used Embarcadero, CASE 5 and Designer 2000.

I'm not terribly fond of Embarcadero - I don't see where it has much advantage over Case Studio. It was somewhat expensive and required yearly licensing.

My favorite is still Oracle Designer, as it does everything you could ever want. It is rather overkill for a lot of projects however, which is why I'm not using it now.

I've looked at DB Designer, which runs on Unix. I think I have it installed right now AAMOF. It doesn't use crows feet, which I consider a handicap, as crows feet are so much easier to read.

It also doesn't generate Oracle SQL, and I have no desire to cleanup SQL every time it is generated.

Please let us know if you find a tool you like that also works on Linux.

Jared

--
Jared Still