Re: Solaris 10 Project(4)

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2006-01-10 22:13:46

Thank you very much Paul (and the others who wrote to me off-list) for your help and examples.

This is more as I expected - that you DO need to (or at least, should) create a project for the oracle user (or the DBA group).

I'm still a little puzzled how this relates the Oracle install guide (both Quick and Full Fat) which only talks of the root user and the user.root project. Why should creation of the "oracle project" be ommitted - is this a documentation bug, are we assumed to know to do this already, or am I missing something?

Thanks
Charlotte

> Hi Charlotte,
>
> you basically need these project definitions to
define how much IPC
> resources can be used. The default setting
calculated by the OS are not
> always what you want :-( Everything is allright
except the allowed shared
> memory.
>
> You need to define a project and kind of attach a
max shared memory to it. I
> assume you already have a user 'oracle' and a group
'dba'. If not add these
> to you system.
>
> Create a default project like:
>
> projadd -c "Oracle default project" group.dba
>
> This assigns a default project (called group.dba) to
the UNIX group dba (the
> one that user oracle is a member of).
>
> Now modify this project so adequate shared memory
can be used:

> projmod -sK

"project.max-shm-memory=(privileged,2G,deny)" group.dba

> Thats it. You can now use SGA up to 2G in size.
>
> Good luck and have fun with that best OS in the
world :-)

> Cheers
>
> Paul
>
> Look in /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group and
/etc/project to see how