Re: OT: Database design question

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: 2006-01-09 18:12:01

Giovanni,

   You are on a slippery slope. You have identified quite correctly one of the issues (and someone pointed at performance too). But you should also tell your customer that any type of so-called "meta" design means that you won't be able to implement foreign keys nor integrity constraints (unless you bend over backwards in triggers). For instance, some of your item attributes will be numbers, some characters, which means that everything would have to be stored as a string. If someone mistypes a O (letter) for a 0 (digit), no way to check it. Consequence, queries may return wrong results. Even if you try to segregate the values by type, you will have no way to check that values are valid or within reasonable bounds. Unless most of the code is made of validity checks in the application code (no protection against the fat-fingered SQL*Plus user).

    It's a much better solution to have a generic ITEMS table, and a specific table by type of item (subtyping).

HTH Stéphane Faroult