RE: Confio DbFlash for Oracle

From: <>
Date: 2006-01-05 20:58:43

No offense taken!

Have you ever tried to catch something as fast as a library cache pin wait (sorry, I misremembered it was the latch, but it was in fact the pin) by querying v$session wait ? I was looking for the reason code for buffer busy waits in v$session_wait not too long ago, hitting / as fast as two fingers could go, and it took me about two minutes to actually catch a buffer busy wait in progress. When I hit the library cache pin & load lock problem, I had an awful time catching one in progress in v$session_wait to get the p1raw to drill into x$kglob and x$kglpn to try and find out what was going on (and finding that it didn't make any sense) before I searched metalink.

I concede that I could have captured much the same data with statspack or by picking a session and tracing it, but it's very handy being in a meeting with 20 people who can't spell "Oracle" and showing them a chart that says "here is precisely what all of your processes are waiting on, and this is what we have to do to fix it". Especially when I don't have to create the chart by hand.

                          "Jeremiah Wilton"                                                \
                             T                                                             \
                                                   To:                                     \
                          Sent by:                 cc:                                     \
                          oracle-l-bounce_at_freelis                                     \
                                   bcc:                                    \
                                                   Subject:                                \
          RE: Confio DbFlash for
                                                   Oracle                                  \
                          01/05/2006 01:46 PM                                              \
                          Please respond to                                                \
                          jeremiah                                                         \

With no criticism intended for you or DbFlash, wouldn't querying v$session_wait have given you the same information that DbFlash did to find the problem you give in your example?