Database link problems

From: Fred Smith <fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2006-01-04 21:19:14

Ok, I've read what must be every metalink and google result now and I still don't quite understand.

I'm trying to create a database link from one database to another. GLOBAL_NAME on the source database is TRUE, and is FALSE on the destination database. I would think this should not be a problem. When I 'select * from global_name;' on the destination database I get DB2. Back on the source database I do "create database link DB2 using 'DB2';' But I can't even do a "select sysdate from dual_at_DB2;" on the source database unless I set global_name=FALSE on the source database too.

What am I doing wrong? I have the database link name on DB1 = global_name of DB2.

Is it not possible to make a database link between 2 databases if the GLOBAL_NAMES parameter is not identical on both?