Re: upgrading to 10g and OEM

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: 2006-01-03 14:57:08

Since I want to use Grid Control does that mean I have to:

1.  Install 10g and upgrade database
2.  Install 10g agent
3.  Switch from Database Control to Grid Control

>>> "Orlando Moroni" 1/3/06 8:51:02 AM >>>

Jeffrey,
install EM Agent 10g (or EM Management Services 10g) is not a pre-requisite for the \ database upgrade.

  1. You can run Database Upgrade Assistant without EM Agent, the new 10g database will be \ managed by Enterprise Manager Database Control Console 10g. Enterprise Manager Database Control Console 10g permits to administer a single Oracle \ Database 10g with a Web interface very similar to EM Grid Control.
  2. EM Grid Control has an architecture very different from OMS. You cannot use EM Agent \ 10g with OMS, but you could manage Database 10g with the old OMS (with Agent 9i). To use \ EM Grid Control 10g you must install EM Grid Control Management Services 10g (and create \ the new repository) and install the new EM Agent 10g on every node to administer.

Bye,
Orlando

Reviewing OracleŽ Database Upgrade Guide 10g Release 1 (10.1) Part No. B10763-02
On page 3-11 it states:
When you run the Database Upgrade Assistant, the assistant checks to see if the Oracle Management Agent has been installed on the host computer. If the assistant locates an Oracle Management Agent, select the Grid Control option and select an Oracle Management Service from the drop-down list. When you finish installing the Oracle Database, the database will automatically be available as a managed target within the Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control.

  1. Does this mean that before I run the Database Upgrade Assistant, I have to install the OEM Agent so that Grid Control will be configured?
  2. Our OMS repository is 9i right now. Do I have to upgrade it before upgrading the databases? If so, how can I do so since above states it wants the agent \ installed first?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113 Received on Tue Jan 03 2006 - 14:57:08 CST