RE: Scalability fo Batch Operations in RAC

From: <Ravi_Kulkarni_at_Dell.com>
Date: 2005-12-27 01:39:29

Sriram,

Are you using Parallelism (are you seeing parallel slaves being spawned on node 2 as seen in gv$px_session when batch job is running) ? DB /Table/index level ?
Try rerunning load by turning off Parallelism at each level.

Remember, default DOP (degree of parallelism) is a function of # instances, cpu_count and few parallel% parameters.

Thanks,
Ravi.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sriram Kumar Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 9:50 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Scalability fo Batch Operations in RAC

Hi Gurus,

   We are running a heavy batch operation of a banking application on RAC. Say the configuration is a 2 node 4 CPU Itanium2 box running 9.2.0.4.

  We have batch operation that can be run in parallel. What I am noticing is that when I run all the batch operations in node 1, it gets over in 2 hours . During this time, the other node is not used at all. To optimally use the resources , I run the batches across 2 nodes, I see a degradation in performance( the elapsed time would be around 3 hours).There are no blocking locks and interconnect performance is good( block transfer time is around 4ms). I am planning to do a 10046 on both the scenarios and compare the top SQL's and waits.

I just wanted to know if any one of you had faced this issue before or is this normal?.

Best Regards

Sriram Kumar Received on Tue Dec 27 2005 - 01:39:29 CST