Re: LAN N/w thruput, Basic Qs - Off-Topic

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: 2005-12-25 00:59:01

Hi,

>I wouldn't group DHCP and link settings in the same basket, but that's
>another
> story. One cannot say "nail everything at the appropriate speeds" and
> leave it
> at that.

Well, it's this general "basket", along with that I normally don't set Oracle to autostart in rc.d for critical servers. If a server goes down and reboots for some reason, I'd like to know the reasons before starting up the database on it again (for example in hardware/software corruptions case, just continuing to restart the database might introduce even more corruptions to it).

> In my example, the new DL380 and DL580 servers we purchased were only
> getting
> about 1MB - 2MB/sec file transfer rate (FTP, NetBIOS, etc) when nailed. I
> tried various settings before finding that setting both the switch and
> server
> to auto allowed me to get the full potential of the network available.

This shows flaws in some party's autonegotiation algorithm/implementation. Autonegotiate doesn't do any magic, the same settings that autonegotiate achieves, should be available for manual configuration as well. But yes, autonegotiate could be used as a workaround, since no driver nor piece of hardware is perfect.

> I've found that if autonegotiation gets you the best performance, no
> problems
> will arise from using it. Of course, upgrading firmware on the NIC or the
> switch should be tested for any possible issues that may arise.
>
> So each case is different. You can't blanket configuration settings like
> that,
> or it will come back to haunt you.

Yep, I do have an approach that critical servers (database servers, network infrastructure, etc) must use fixed settings, but various dev/experimental environments and some application servers have relaxed requirements.

Tanel.