backup of offline dropped datafile

From: Koen Van Langenhove <Koen.Van_Langenhove_at_siemens.com>
Date: 2005-12-23 16:38:12

Hi,
First things first:
- 9.2.0.4 2-node RAC

we have this little situation where someone dropped a datafile using 'offline drop'. This was apparently not the best solution for its problem and we don't have archivelogs available to recover the datafile (only the archivelogs created during the backup are kept .. don't ask ..).

As I understand it right now, there's no way we can "undrop" this datafile, our only option is to drop the tablespace and recreate it, which is what we'll do eventually. To get out of this situation we would like to continue for a while with this datafile dropped, while adding another datafile to make up for the lost space.

Now, the question is, is this a good idea ? My main concern is backup/recovery, but any other hints would be highly appreciated.

TIA,
Koen

PS the original problem:
- added a datafile

--
Regards,
Koen

Siemens  COM
COM D MN A

Email : Koen.Van_Langenhove_at_siemens.com
Unix IS user-friendly .., it's just quite picky about its friends.