Re: export a windows database from linux

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2005-12-22 20:15:12

Exporting a Windoze database from Linux will work without any problem.

What might give you problems:
  Different Oracle versions
  Incorrect NLS_LANG settings.

Export will complain about both.

Export will do character set conversions, but my personal preference is to just temporarily set NLS_LANG on the linux side so that it matches the character set of database being exported.

Also be careful of difference database character sets. You can for instance import US7ASCII into WE8ISO8859P1 without any problem, but the reverse may not be true, dependent on the data.

There are others on this list that can speak to NLS issues with some authority,
so maybe one of them will chime in.

Jared

--
Jared Still