Re: export a windows database from linux

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2005-12-22 21:40:54

Some days ago I found that I always HAVE to follow metalink Note:132904.1. Particularly the sentence "Always use a version of the EXPORT utility that is equal to the lowest version of either the source or the target database."
I.e. I had 9.2.0.5. export file from Aix that I tried to import to 9.2.0.4 on Linux dying with nasty error

IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1882 encountered
ORA-01882: timezone region  not found
IMP-00009: abnormal end of export file
IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully
After more than day investigation whether file transfer was ok etc etc it came out that the only problem is difference in db versions (respectively in export and import versions as well). After target db upgrade to 9.2.0.5. all went perfectly.

About NLS settings - don't know theoretical details but from practise I know that sometimes one cannot insert specific symbols (for example symbols with macrons and acutes) from non-UTF charsets (i.e. one byte charsets) into UTF charsets if tables are defined like varchar2(X). In one byte charsets specific symbols take one byte but in UTF versions they can take more, so there is possibility that total number of bytes in a column in UTF charset is more than X. In such cases one has to precreate tables and define columns like varchar2(x char), it means that x characters could be stored, not x bytes.

If I remember correctly there were some topics about different charsets including UTF in this list some time ago.

Gints