Re: OT: Redhat linux install issues

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: 2005-12-19 18:59:37

Hmmmm...

Yes, the text-based installer may get you farther, but as I recall, the GUI-based installer is using X-windows. If it really fails badly on your hardware, you may find that the full X-windows is not so hot either. (Or not.)

Have you thought about VMware? I've had great success with it myself. VMware Workstation costs less than $200. Alternatively, VMware player is free, although you'd have to find somebody to create a "seed" virtual machine for you. (VMware player cannot "create" virtual machines.)

Anyway, I've been running Oracle-on-linux-on-VMware on my laptop for some time now, and couldn't be happier with it. (Not that I'd do this for a *production* database, though.) This can be especially handy for laptops, where "exotic" hardware can otherwise really through Linux a curve-ball. (VMware provides "virtual" hardware that Linux is usually able to deal with easily.)

Anyway, just a thought...

Cheers,
-- Mark.

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.redhat.install/browse_thread/thread/44dd71fe437feb/9133750f3b7322a3?lnk=st&q=redhat+linux+screen+flashing&rnum=4&hl=en#9133750f3b7322a3 \