Re: why does a higher cost run faster?

From: Haroon A. Qureshi <haroon_at_qureshi.name>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:48:17 -0600

i removed the function call and replaced it with the returned value. the plan is the same (full table scan) with the same performance.

regarding the sys stats, we are running oracle 11i. the rule of thumb has been not to gather stats on the sys/system objects (along with it depends :) ). going with the it depends scenario, we've seen performance to be better without the stats on the system objects.

the organization_id is a primary key in the table. the data is broken out below. the function call returns org_id 86.

ORGANIZATION_ID COUNT(*)

             86     172394
            101     150699
            102      31681