Re: v$sql 'db block changes'

From: Ethan Post <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:37:20 -0600

I don't disagree that the info could be useful, but since this is a problem that is likely occurring pretty regularly all you would need to do is get the information from v$sesstat and take a peek at the SQL the top writer sessions are issuing. You could also narrow down the suspects objects with table monitoring and seeing what your top insert/updater's are. I usually concentrate on top redo generators as my suspects in this case.

I suspect it will turn out that SQL issuing the most writes will also be doing the most of other attributes in V$SQL_AREA, be it CPU time, buffer gets etc...

In my case I take a snapshot with a script that (I think) does a better job than statspack. The top inserted/updated objects will come out in one section and then by looking at a snapshot of v$sql_area I can quickly see the SQL related to the inserts/updates. This is a little quicker and easier than kicking off a sql trace.