RE: 9i OO4O/OLEDB connections randomly failing when using Oracle Names

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:32:37 -0600

Hey Jared,

Thanks for the reply. We're on 9.2.0.7 and still seeing it, so it's definitely still there. The major problem with troubleshooting this is that it's almost impossible to get this to repeat reliably. I tried SQLNet tracing, but every time I turn it on, the apps work. Huh? On the ones that did work, I noticed a few of these:

(2116) [000001 06-DEC-2005 13:40:56:419] ntt2err: soc 1540 error - operation=5, ntresnt[0]=517, ntresnt[1]=54, ntresnt[2]=0

Research showed this to be a Windows "54" error, which translates to
"The network is busy" or "connection reset by peer", depending on where
I look. This shouldn't be. Oracle Support wanted me to adjust
"TcpMaxDataRetransmissions" in the Registry of every PC, even though
this only started happening with the 9i client and affects no other program. Ummm, no.

Thankfully, we found a PC whose OO4O/VB6 apps consistently crashed, even with SQLNet tracing on, so I was able to provide Oracle Support with more information. And this time, no "54" errors. It's been bumped up to development, which hopefully can provide us with a real fix.

Our situation is very similar to BUG 3950490, but we're already on MDAC 2.81, which was the solution to that bug. And I just had the problem pop up in Quest's Spotlight, which can't be using ODBC to do it's DB connections.

I also ran across either a MetaLink forum post or a BUG that had a similar problem, but with OID naming, but I can't find it anymore. I've tried to install OID 10GR2, but Oracle Support can't tell me where I can find instructions on how to install it standalone, which would be required by lack of an iAS license. <sigh>

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_quadtechworld.com      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA