Re: DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SYSTEM_STATS samples only BADSTATS

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:18:08 -0000

The only think I can think of is that the N4 and N5 values are the single block read count and single block read time (in milliseconds), and the average single block read from your figures is:

    N4                            : 138598982
    N5                            : 53294180

    n5/n4 = 53294180 / 138598982
        =  0.3845 m/s

Possibly a time less than 1m/s is not allowed, and leaves you with 'BADSTATS'.

You have the same problem with the multiblock reads (n6 and n7). It looks like you may be getting a lot of data from a file-system buffer. (Or possibly your system has been up for so long that you are getting an odd 32-bit wrap on some counters).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/cbo_book/ind_book.html Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html Public Appearances - schedule updated 29th Nov 2005

> What do you get from
> select * from sys.aux_stats$

I gathered the stats in a separate stats table, so:

STATID                        : OLTP
TYPE                          : S
VERSION                       : 4
FLAGS                         : 1
C1                            : BADSTATS
C2                            : 12-09-2005 13:24
C3                            : 12-10-2005 10:01
C4                            : CPU_SERIO
C5                            :
N1                            : -1
N2                            : -1
N3                            : 588
N4                            : 138598982
N5                            : 53294180
N6                            : 160604371
N7                            : 46108340
N8                            : 243873588
N9                            : 421111191
N10                           : 0
N11                           : 15
N12                           : 2619857577
D1                            :
R1                            :
R2                            :
CH1                           :