Re: Way to create large block size under LINUX for ORACLE dataabase??

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:19:09 +1100

zhu chao apparently said,on my timestamp of 13/12/2005 5:35 PM:

> The matrix above is out of date. At least for Ext3Filesystem, single
> file can be much larger than 2gb. And solaris should only support 4k/8k
> blocksize?(even for vxfs).

Yes, but be careful: until 10g, Oracle supports only 32Gb max file size, no matter what the file system might support or its block size be. I believe the same applies to raw. All to do with maximum addressability inside a file in a tablespace. It's in the database limits doco.

> On 12/10/05, *dba1 mcc* <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com
> <mailto:mccdba1_at_yahoo.com>> wrote:
> Does there has way like SUN Solaris I can create file
> system blocksize like 128K?

You probably can in Solaris, but never, ever, create a file system with blocksize larger than the one in the database! Under penalty of much increased physical I/O for anything other than a FTS or index FFS.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto