alter system set user_dump_dest='/newdir' not working

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:39:06 -0700

9.2.0.5, AIX 5.2   I'm able to execute the command with no errors, and get the "System altered" confirmation message, but then when I try to create a trace file (e.g. set sql_trace=true), no file gets created - not in the original udump directory or the new one. When I alter the parameter back to its original value, then I am able to create trace files in the original udump directory once again. Anyone else seen this and know of a solution (other than changing it in the pfile/spfile and bouncing the database)?

Oh yeah, I also made sure to disconnect and then start a new session after changing the value. I found a bug (#4090774) on Metalink but it was for VMS only, and they said that the change worked after starting a new session, so this doesn't seem to apply.

Thanks,
Brandon