Re: When stats trash your performance

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:59:53 +0000

On 07/12/05, John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> What is the database version? Any clues as to *what* programs/functions
> are slow, and by how much? How were the stats collected? DO you have
> baseline figures (from STATSPACK before and after) that will give us a clue?
>
> Cheers,
> John Kanagaraj

John,

It's 9.2.0.6.0. The rest of your questions, unfortunately, point to what is actually the core problem here. Due to the way the organisation is structured databases are managed by local IT teams (who tend not to have anyone trained in Oracle) or the FM supplier, this one is managed by a local IT team. The organisation is also highly politicised so getting a straight answer can be difficult especially when there's an indication that the problem might be due to something they've done.

I've tried to get STATSPACK put on this database but was refused on the grounds that it might negatively impact performance.

For the past few years I've been trying to get database administration brought into a central function and introduce change control but it's been an uphill struggle. It does now look likethe message is getting through, I have a meeting tommorrow that is about introducing a set of standards for Oracle databases which will include change controls.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/