RE: 9i OO4O/OLEDB connections randomly failing when using Oracle Names

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:11:33 -0800

Jesse,

I have had quite a few problems with ONAMES/8.1.7 working nicely with Winders OO/OLE/Other new-mangled technologies. I believe it has to do with malformed packets that cause buffer overflows, and while these occur at layers lower than that of Onames, they do implement themselves as Onames issues. We have had to resort to TNSNAMES.ORA on some Winders boxes for this reason. However, what we did was to send out the TNSNAMES.ORA file with only that specific entry required for the failing app and let the others resolve via ONAMES [ NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES), i.e. allow TNSNAMES resolution first and ONAMES next for missing entries ]. This way you will need to update TNSNAMES.ORA *only* for changes related to that app.

Hth and GL,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)