10gR2 and _simple_view_merging issue

From: rjamya <rjamya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:12:15 -0500

We found an interesting issue in testing 10gR2. We have an application that inserts into a view. Mind you it is a simple view, no distincts, group-by etc.

In earlier testing we encountered performance issues so we turned off "_simple_view_merging" (set to false) to improve performance. As soon as we did that, inserts into simple views (with an exist clause) failed with ORA-1732 and ORA-2014 (in different cases).

We turned on the "_simple_view_merging" by settign it to true, both errors disappeared.

We are doing more testing before logging a TAR ... sorry SR but does anyone have any ideas on this behavior ?? Nothing suitable found in Metalink, Google.

TIA
Raj

This space is available for rent.