Re: Oracle 9.2 Standard Edition - Standby switchover issues

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:04:14 -0500

On 12/7/05, Luc Demanche <lucdemanche_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> By doing "alter database activate standby database;", Oracle does a
> resetlogs.
> It means that I have to recreate a fresh standby database.
>
> There is no Graceful switch ?

I believe that Lawrence To wrote a paper back in the days of 7.3 on "graceful switchover".
I found this copy:

http://www.oracle.com/technology//deploy/availability/pdf/stby8i_twp.pdf search string "oracle lawrence to standby database graceful switchover"

IF you have the current controlfile of the primary (meaning, the primary database was shutdown cleanly AND IF you have the current online redo log of the primary (meaning, the primary database was shutdown cleanly)
THEN you can have a graceful switchover to your standby database - but its not really a standby as you're mounting it with the current controlfile and applying the online redo log (and all previously archived redo logs) as if it was THE real primary database - which it is now. If you didn't mount it with a standby controlfile, its not a standby database. You're left without a standby database.

Whether or not its your real primary or just an exact copy is up to you at that point.

I'd say that its not truly a graceful switchover to a standby database, as its not a standby database at that time ... even though it was a standby database the last time you mounted it as such and possibly applied archived redo logs to it, but that's just terminology.

Paul

--
#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop
-- play a Sony CD, install a rootkit today