Oracle 9.2 Standard Edition - Standby switchover issues

From: Luc Demanche <lucdemanche_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:23:26 -0500

Hi,

Oracle 9.2.0.6 Standard Edition
I have issues when I want to switch between my standby and primary database.

I got this error
ARCH: Archiving not possible: No standby destinations ARCH: Failed to archive log 1 thread 1 sequence 61 ORA-16014 signalled during: alter database commit to switchover to standby wi

We are running the Standard Edition so I can't use "log_archive_dest_n ...."

I copy my archive log file with a script and apply them using "recover automatic standby database".

For another system with Enterprise Edition, I'm using these commands without any problems:
To switch from Primary to Standby
alter database commit to switchover to physical standby with session shutdown;
shutdown immediate;
startup nomount;
alter database mount standby database;
alter system set log_archive_dest_state_2=defer scope=both; alter database recover managed standby database disconnect;

To switch from Standby to Primary
alter database recover managed standby database finish skip standby logfile; alter database commit to switchover to primary; shutdown immediate
startup
alter system set log_archive_dest_state_2=enable scope=both;

Question:
What do I need to make it work with the Standard Edition ?

Thanks
Luc
--

Luc Demanche