Re: auto start of listener with pwd

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:12:50 -0700

This is mostly correct. To *start* a password-protected listener, no password is required.

If you want to STOP, STATUS, or RELOAD the listener (using 'lsnrctl', that is), you'll need to provide the password first.

You *can* however, STOP a password-protected listener (locally only) using 'kill -9'. Well, on UNIX platforms, anyway. I doubt Oracle Support would sanction this behaviour, but I also doubt it would do much harm (beyond maybe causing gaps in logfiles or something). That said, I *rarely* do this, and use it only as a last resort.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out which process to kill (or even to write a shell script than can do this). I suppose it would be kinda nice if Oracle would code the listener so that SIGHUP ('kill -1') would cause it to RELOAD, but that's not really necessary, I guess... ;-)

Cheers,
-- Mark.